Is it possible to get rid of used hearing aids? The answer is always the same whether you decide to update to a more sophisticated model such as cochlear implants or you got them from a deceased relative: donate your pre-owned hearing aids instead of throwing them away.
There are several organizations that acquire and distribute used hearing aids to people who could really use them, and there are lots of people who need them. Keep reading to discover how and why to donate pre-owned hearing aids.
Why It’s Worthwhile to Contribute a Pre-owned Hearing Aid
- Of the total population, around 14% have some kind of hearing loss
- Of all of the adults suffering from hearing loss 91% percent are over the age of 50
- 15% of school-age children have some form of hearing loss
- Approximately 29 million adults with hearing loss can benefit from hearing aids, but…
- …hearing aids are actually utilized by only 16% (4.6 million) of them
- The average age for first-time hearing aid users is 70, but again…
- Less than 30% of those over 70 who require hearing aids have ever had them
This is extremely worrisome. Because untreated hearing loss has been associated with numerous health problems from an increased risk of falling to cognitive decline and depression. The relevance of your hearing to your general health is supported by new research being released regularly. These health issues can be eliminated and in certain cases reversed by hearing aids.
And loss of hearing will cost the typical family up to $12,000 each year which should be a very compelling fact. But hearing aids can actually mitigate that cost by up to 50%.
For a family that loses out on $12,000 every year, it may simply not be possible for them to pay for a hearing aid.
Your old hearing aid can make an enormous effect, in the overall health, quality of life and financial well-being, for an individual in need who could not normally afford a hearing aid. It might also cost a child the ability to go to college and better their lives because they can’t hear in school.
Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
Old hearing aids are recycled and dispensed by lots of manufacturers and volunteer organizations. Come and talk with us so we can guide you on the right recycling option for you. Or you can simply give us a call.